Assistant Coach Vacancy
Grantham Swim Club (GSC) is looking to recruit a dynamic and enthusiastic Assistant Coach with an anticipated start in Feb 2023. Working primarily with its County and County Development Squads (approximate age range 9-12), this is an exciting opportunity to develop its pathway and better support its swimmers.
Grantham Swim Club is already a highly successful, competitive club but we have ambitions to be even better. Most recently in the 2021/2022 season we had over 40 Lincolnshire County Championships qualifiers, 21 Midlands Regional qualifiers and 7 National qualifiers. In the short term, we aim to develop an open, transparent and fair culture that produces the very best results for the Club, and with a solid foundation for future growth and success that you will be responsible for generating. We aim to provide ambitious swimmers with the environment, the skills, and the coaching support to reach their potential.
Reporting to the Head Coach, we will mentor and support you in your own coaching journey, but fundamentally, you will be pivotal to our ambitious plan to develop our swimmers, improving their technique, fault analysing their errors and developing their character, resilience and personal traits in order to succeed. Working with young people, you will understand the need to tailor your approach to help get the best out of each individual swimmer. Displaying the highest levels of empathy and emotional intelligence, you will also understand the importance of safeguarding and welfare procedures. You will maintain accurate records, provide performance feedback to swimmers and parents on a regular basis and set a challenging but achievable scope of individual and squad objectives.
While you are likely to have extensive experience in swim teaching or coaching, GSC will support your growth and development. A personal competitive swimming background is advantageous but not essential. What is essential however, is a genuine passion for the benefits of competitive swimming and an ambitious, competitive outlook while always prioritising the wellbeing and safety of your swimmers.
Some flexibility in terms of hours will be required and your working schedule will be agreed by negotiation but is likely to include:
- Sun: 4.30pm – 6pm
- Tue: 7.30pm – 9.30pm
- Wed: 6am – 7.30am
- Thu: 6pm – 8pm
- Fri: 6am – 7 am and 7.30pm – 9pm
You will also be expected to attend competitions and events, in consultation with the Head Coach. Expenses will be provided for this.
Your main duties will include:
- Supporting the delivery of the highest-quality coaching to all swimmers within the Grantham SC Pathway.
- Responsibility for the effective coaching, assessment, and development of swimmers within GSC’s County and County Development Squads
- Advancing a progressive pathway for all swimmers, including building relationships with partner ‘learn-to-swim’ schemes and local/regional clubs and schools to ensure the selection and retention of talent.
- Attending competitions as designated by the Head Coach.
- Attending and contributing to all coaching team meetings.
The successful candidate will have:
- UKCC Level 2 Certificate (or be willing to work towards it)
- NPLQ or NRASTC qualification
- Current and valid enhanced Swim England DBS Clearance and appropriate Safeguarding qualification. Or willing to achieve prior to commencement
- Genuine passion and enthusiasm for competitive swimming
- Proven history of working with and improving young people, including examples of flexible approaches to get the best out of them.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills showing empathy when required.
- Appropriate level of technical knowledge relating to competitive swimming.
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- The ability to work independently and within a team environment
- The ability to motivate others and be self-motivated
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact GSC’s Head Coach, James Stannard (JStannard.GranthamSC@gmail.com).
To apply, please send a covering letter outlining your relevant skills, knowledge and experience as well as your CV to Alanna Gleave (Communications.GranthamSC@gmail.com) no later than midnight on 22 Dec 2023. Interviews will take place in the week commencing 2 Jan 2023.
A competitive salary of £12.50 / hour is offered, reflective of relevant skills and experience. The appointment is subject to pre-employment checks and Disclosure and Barring Service clearance.